Nearly 100 years ago, a blacksmith opened up shop close to the south rail yards.
His name was Ted Arndt. He worked out of the small, one-storey corrugated steel barrel roofed building from 1928 until he replaced it in the late 1930s or early 1940s.
But Ted wasn't done with the changes yet.
Over the next decade, the business went from a blacksmith to a machine shop.
A change that made a lot of sense as the horse-drawn age was on the way out and mechanization was rushing in.
Fast forward to present day Edmonton and it's home to a restaurant serving South African Indian cuisine.
The owners, Daya and Selva Naidoo, bring their family traditions to the establishment. They immigrated from South Africa during Apartheid in the 1980s. Their families had lived in the African country for generations after being brought from India in the 19th century to work in the cane fields.
When they moved to Edmonton, they first owned and operated the Whyte Ave cafe, Block 1912. They created a successful business but would eventually sell it to retire.
But the retirement was short lived.
They wanted to get back into the restaurant business. In June 2010, they brought their familial history and cuisine to the table at Narayanni's (10131-81 Avenue).